After that, we came home for nap time. Well, Lilah and Ben napped; I cut out a couple of tops and dresses for Lilah. Now I just need to find time to sew them all!
Finally, we headed out to the park downtown to see if there was a good wedding going on at the pavillion.
There I was met with the most wonderful sight: Prom Kids!
Y'all - I love weddings and proms. Fancy dresses and high expectations always get my blood pumping. You know the way other people love football season? Yeah, that's how much I love wedding and prom season. And to prove it, I've sneaked some photos so I can share some highlights with you:
First of all, it seems that long, maxi-shaped dresses in bright prints are IN this year. We saw SO many printed dresses that in a different fabric would be thrown on with flip flops and worn down by the beach. I don't really feel like they are "formal" enough for my taste, but no worries, as I saw my fair share of fully sequined gowns and even a tangerine cupcake dress! But my favorite dress was a purple/sage combo. It was strapless and had an empire waist; the bodice was sequined and sage green with purple sequins; the skirt was pleated and was mostly lavender with a faded floral pattern and then there was a sage green sash that tied off center in the back. I know it sounds nutty, but it was just so different and pretty. I tried to catch a picture but could never get one on the sly that turned out good enough. I've tried looking online, but can't find anything. I will post if I find it!
But this was fun - there was a group of girls there obviously all going in a group and not with male escorts. This one had on red, high top chucks under her dress.

I think my favorites, though, were the mishaps. Let's take these ladies:
At first glance, they just look like they are chatting it up about their dresses, admiring the fabric and fine craftsmanship. But there's a lot that happened right before I snuck this picture.See, the girl in the dress that looks like it was in a shark attack actually just stepped on the train of "why are you wearing a wedding dress" girl. It left a big ol (quarter sized) mark. SHE WAS FURIOUS. Let's look at the body language going on.
The mom is trying to appease her daughter, who has become so irate that I literally said to Ben, "Hey - we just watched as those girls stopped being friends!" Seriously, though, if you wear a snow white dress with a train to a park and stand next to someone in 6 inch heels, what are you expecting? But check out how she totally blocked her frenemies attempts to apologize. She told her she could talk to the middle finger. And Shark Attack Frenemy - ok, she had BEAUTIFUL long legs. I know why she'd want to show them off. That dress was RIDICULOUS. It was *so* shreddy long in the back and *s0* short in the front!!But even watching those two pretend to be friends was nothing - NOTHING - compared to this wreck:
WHAT IN THE HELL!? This girl looked like she just got off shift at Platinum Club!! And let's just be honest - was this really the best choice? And did her mother really let her walk out of the house like that? Let's investigate further:
See, HoochieMama - when you wear a dress like this, pervy men in the park look at you. And we need to talk about this: Yes, you have boobs. We all know you have huge knockers. We probably know you have huge knockers from the stuff you wear at school. But you could have played up this asset without being half nekkid elsewhere. Honey, you got underarm and belly fat showing through! Not attractive. This is definitely going in my file of "Things Lilah is NOT Allowed to Wear Outside My House or a Play." I think the worst thing is, she could have done something very similar and had a much better outcome. Easily. Please observe:
See? We can still see your huge knockers, just not 3/4 of them. And look how much more tasteful and not-strippery you look when you cover those unsightly rolls of fat under your arm and on your stomach. Just something to keep in mind.As we left the park, we ran into one of the classiest bridal parties we've ever seen. The bride was wearing a blusher veil and had a lace dress - so vintage, so classy - and the bridesmaids were wearing short, sage green dresses with a subtle stripe - just awesome. Even Ben remarked on how pretty their dresses were.
I just hope every Saturday is this much fun. I think I will make sure I have my camera every Saturday so I can play this game some more. I love Armchair quarterbacking prom girls!
4 comments:
Ohhh this made my night! You are just awesome. My FAVORITE date night ever.. was the night we went to chilis (I was craving their fajitas) and there was a HUGE wait.. standing room only. So they gave us our little pager and we went to wait in the air conditioned car, where we then found out what the HUGE wait was all about... it was PROM night.. we had a full hour of Prom Watch while we waited on a table. It was the BEST. We had names too... the only one I remember is "homerun".. Richard said something about one Hoochie's dress & that her date would probably get to second base... THEN we saw the back of the dress and re-named her HOMERUN. LOL.
LOVED this post!
You crack me up! You know Hoochie wore that dress for only one reason...hmmm...you know that's why you named her Hoochie. I like your alterations, though. You can come alter Olivia's prom dress. I also like the squiggly writing. Perhaps you can pitch this idea to the Style network or WE. If people watch The Bad Girls Club, they'd totally watch play by play of Prom pictures in the park!
your post killed me...love :-) so fun :-)
Blasen and I would have fun doing this. I need to mark my calendar for next year. We need a fun date night.
Love it!
Post a Comment