Saturday, August 13, 2011

Solace of Ordinary Humanity

A few months ago I decided that I was finally - come Hell or high water - going to become that person who always has cut flowers in her house.  A fresh bouquet every week to 10 days seemed like a good investment in the beautification of my home, and the happification of my being. 

Plus it would force me to keep my dining room table cleared off.

However, this past weekend I accidentally stumbled on something that I may love just as much if not more than fresh cut flowers in a vase.

Freshly cut Basil in a big ol' jar.


I wanted to make some pasta sauces and pizzas and found these lovely bunches of basil at one of the farmer's market stands.  I asked the farmer the best way to keep it and apparently, it's a bit of a crap-shoot; you can leave it out and it can be fine for a week or it can wither up and curl in 24 hours.  The only sound piece of advice was not to put it in the fridge, because it will turn brown.  But he did mention that he likes to keep his in a jar on the counter, so that's what I did.

And isn't it pretty?  And it makes the kitchen smell heavenly, like an Italian ristorante. 

Oh. My. Yum.

I was sad to use it.

But I did, anyway.

:-)

So for the time being, my "cut flower" rule will apply to cut herbs, and it's going to make it a little harder to bid farewell to summer.

Not so much the 109 degree days, but, well, you know.

No comments: