While I was pregnant, I read Sidney Portier's autobiography. I'd always been somewhat interested in him because we have something in common: We share a birthday.
Clearly, the commonalities stop there, but it's worth mentioning that we do seem to both be on the creative end of the gifts and interests spectrum, and I'd be happy to have him in my home for dinner if that ever were an option.
I also suppose he has a lot of lovely people in his life like I do that make life's milestones worth passing.
First, I was able to go out on Saturday night with two good friends where we threatened to crash a popping dance party that was going on above the bar and discuss at length the funeral of Whitney Houston. If that doesn't sound like a fun conversation to you, then it's because you have not yet had the fortune of discussing current events while under the influence of amazing cocktails with my witty friends, and I'd like to invite you to remedy that as soon as possible.
My sweet parents came to town and entertained Lilah so that I could do crazy things like sit and read a magazine uninterrupted (now I can finally get rid of my 11/11 issue of "O"!) and go to the store without a special helper chatting me up to the point where I forget what I've gone in to buy.
This morning started a flurry of celebratory texts from friends, and after checking out the most awesome ever "My Little Pony" birthday card from Lilah, my lovely parents took Lilah and I out to breakfast.
I arrived at work to find my sweet co-worker had created a personalized banner to hang (Can I tell you how much I love people who love paper as much as I do?) AND gotten me a gift AND had made me brownies. Which I should have more liberally shared, since I work for Jesus, but Jesus will have to forgive my selfishness in wanting to take the lion's share home.
Plus I had another couple gifts/cards/ emails from folks at work that were greatly appreciated.
Top that off with the roughly bajillion Facebook wishes I received and I'd have to say today was pretty freaking stellar.
Plus, at the end of the day, I got to hang out with a super sweet little girl who didn't care that I'm a year older, who tells me I'm the most beautiful Mommy in the world, and who loves me even when she isn't trying to work me to try and stay up later.
I just hope Mr. Portier had as nice a day as I did.



3 comments:
That banner is awesome, and those brownies??? Yum! Your birthday gift will arrive in its usual (un)fashionable lateness in a few days. I'm really glad you had such a great day (few days). Here's to being another year wiser! Love ya!
I, too, am glad you had a good birthday. That's one of the best gifts...quiet time where you can do whatever you want and know that things are being taken care of at home. Happy Birthday!
What a neat banner, and those brownies look great! Happy birthday!
Post a Comment