Thursday, January 1, 2009

I think what we need is some more meat...

I have been up cooking for the freezer all day today. I started with Mac-n-Cheese that was made from scratch. I'm talking, melted butter, cooking garlic, thickened with flour, sauce made of whole milk and chicken broth scratch. It made two 8x8 pans full PLUS a 3x8 loaf sized pan full that we had the pleasure of "testing" tonight at dinner.

THEN - I cooked FIVE AND A HALF POUNDS OF BEEF!!!!!!!

I've got about 15 servings of sloppy joes, a quart of chili and a quart of taco/enchilada goodness.

Then I cooked most of dinner on top of that.

Man, my feet are KILLING me. But I've got on my tennis shoes, so they're not swollen. My legs, that's another story.

Tomorrow, I do the chicken casseroles, the breakfast buns and muffins and the scalloped potatoes. We can have people over for like, real meals and I won't have to do anything but send Ben out to the freezer to get anything!

My mom got here around 11:00 this morning and has been working on the crib bedding since. She and I spent a few minutes laughing at Lilah have the hiccups earlier. :-) Anyway - she's almost finished sewing together the bumper and I'm going to take a break from being on my feet and work on the announcements.

Long day. Very long day. But productive.

5 comments:

tracyp said...

congrats and I think you have earned a lifetime supply of foot/leg rubs from your husband. I gather he can't cook? Keep up the pre-baby work, so you can rest every time Lilah closes her eyes! OH and homemade mac-n-cheese is the BEST!!! (oh when he thaws it out it's great with cornbread croutons crushed up and broiled quickly... )

Rachael M. said...

Tracy - Actually, Ben CAN cook. But he IS still going to have to work and it will be easier to just have him run out and pick something from the freezer than having to plan what it will be, then go buy it, and then make it :-) But he's actually pretty handy in the kitchen...he is responsible for all holiday meals, actually!

The Mac actually has a cracker crust on top...it is SO good! Come on over for some when we have it, since each pan will serve approximately 6 people in my estimation! :-)

Jeni said...

Love days like that when you get lots o' stuff done!! It won't be long now.....glad moms is there to help out. :) Love you!

JTP said...

excellent idea- i did that too and it was so nice not to have to cook for a while after the baby got here...and if you're lucky, everyone that came to stop by and see the baby stopped and picked us up dinner from somewhere- it was pretty sweet. i will keep my fingers crossed that people will do that for you :-) can't wait to see the crib bedding!

Sara said...

That's my plan...well, pre-plan. I need to get the deep freezer first. I have my list of to-do projects before baby gets here and thankfully I have a few months.
And I remember my feet from Bliss...oh how horrible. It feels like your skin is actually going to split open. I was stupid enough to go to an Alabama football game about a week before he was born and my feet literally looked like Big Al's afterward. I was so embarrassed. Then to top it off, Blasen wasn't with me and I could no longer wear my wedding ring, so I felt like people thought I was some trashy knocked-up college girl.