Monday, September 15, 2008

Baby Project and other things:

I just realized that after announcing her name, I never actually followed through and told you all what the project is that we would like for as many people who are interested to be involved with!

We have decided that as part of her "maps and travel" themed room, we'd love to have people we know (and some we don't!) to send her postcards from all over this wide world. We would like to have a sort of set of "postcards" in frames as part of the decor that we can change out from time to time, and when they are not in use, we plan to keep them in this book:




That way we can look through them with her when she's little and she can have all these neat little notes from folks from all over the world when she grows up. It'll be cool to have the stamps and the signatures and the images.

At least that's what we think.

We'd love to have postcards from all over - funny, beautiful, small town, big city - we like them all. The goal would be, of course, to have some from all 50 states and then from all over the world. You don't have to write her a long note or even anything terribly personal. You can just address her and say something neat about the place, or something about it that she might like to check out one day.

We think this would be an incredible gift we can facilitate for our daughter, who we hope will grow up with a far more healthy world-view than a lot of people are afforded or allowed.

So, if you're interested, please contact me I'll gladly send you my address if you don't have it! We are hoping for this to be an ongoing project, so don't feel like you have to run out today and send a postcard. But if you have a trip somewhere coming up (even if it's just the local museum, etc.) please think of Miss Lilah and her postcard book!

Also - Ben and I both really liked the idea of having that little bear outfit from LL Bean for Lilah to wear home from the birthing center (and elsewhere during the first couple of weeks that we need to take her out and about during her first chilly months on earth) but I just COULD NOT handle the $50.00 price tag on that particular incarnation of the cutest thing ever.


I had decided that we would just skip it, but while we were out shopping after our birthing class on Saturday, Ben and I were happy to find this at the Carter's outlet:



No, it's NOT the same as the LL Bean one, and not nearly as puffy and fluffy and cute, but the spirit is there, and look at those little paws! PLUS, this incarnation was ONLY $15.00, which I find a lot more palatable than $50.00 plus shipping. SURE - I could have dropped hints to the grandmas and probably had the other one for just a mention, but it's the principle of the matter, you know?

So - Miss Lilah will, in all her red, pointed headed, wrinkled glory will wear this home from the birthing center after entering the world. I'm happy that we won't have to find one of those little hats for her, as we have had the hardest time finding those little skull caps that we like, and this will keep her noggin nice and warm. I have a wee brown onesie (Thanks Jeni!) that she can wear beneath the bear and I think we are probably good to go with that outfit. I'll also take a couple of things that they can put on her right after. I really don't know why I need so many outfits, but that's ok. Whatever she ends up in will be covered in bear, so it doesn't much matter :-D

Also - here is the little garden Ben created to surround the pink dogwood my parents bought for Lilah when they were up last:



There are ornamental peppers and lettuces as well as mums and some other stuff. I think it looks quite nice. Our backyard has shaped up to be really nice and I'm really looking forward to going outside with dog and baby and spending a lot of time out there next spring, summer, and fall. We've decided we have the nicest backyard in the neighborhood, with the sweet ancient lady next door having the second nicest. But what's interesting to see is that other people seem to notice, and we've noticed a lot of yard work going on in people's yards this summer. It's like we gave them permission to have a nice yard and take pride in their homes. It's just nice to see.

I'm a little out of sorts lately. I'm sleeping great for a change, but I am still mentally exhausted. I just can't focus and I can't get myself together to get things done. If I take a longer than expected hiatus from writing, don't worry - I'm just being productive. I promise I'll be back soon.

8 comments:

JTP said...

ok, I'm getting caught up on my blogs I like...the pics of the new outfit aren't showing up for me- does it have ears? I like things with ears. $12.50 what a steal...that's a fair price for something they will seriously wear just a few times. William is outgrowing everything- I'm glad I didn't spend a ton of money on anything :-) by the way potterybarnkids.com is having a HUGE sale on kids clothes....
oh and I LOVE the postcard idea- you are too cool!

Callie said...

I wish that I would have known that before I left NY!

Rachael M. said...

JT - Oh, it DEFINITELY has ears :-D I'm not sure why it's not showing up - I could see it at work and home. :-( But it is ALMOST as cute as the LL Bean one.

Callie - I didn't think you'd have time to get one, so I didn't say anything!

Sunday Grant Photography said...

i LOVE the nursery idea. That is just awesome. you are so creative. do you think that sweet little Lilah wants one from the "front porch of western north carolina" or better known as Black Mountain?

Rachael M. said...

Sunday - I think she'd LOVE one! She likes to learn about all kinds of places - even the ones not too far from home. :-)

And thanks; we had sort of settled on that theme for a boy or a girl because we liked the colors of old maps and globes so much...plus, mini-earths and maps seemed to be stimulating enough to pass the "but are you teaching your baby" test. LOL

Unknown said...

I can't believe you bought a bear outfit to bring Lilah home in. I have to say, I am TOTALLY surprised...I didn't know you had this side to you...look what motherhood is already bringing out of you! :) And you can bet Lilah Lou will be getting postcards from me. Remember how AWESOME you were when I was doing my internship in England and you send my students all those recipe cards with Southern recipes on the back of them? Now I get to repay the favor. And, you said something stupid in your email about us not wanting us to go to so much trouble for your baby shower for just a few people who would come? Dismiss that thought as quickly as I did. I already have a lot of good, creative ideas swirling around in my head, and those aren't usually easy to come by in my head. That, and it's at least a START to repay all the niceness I've received at your hand in my life. So - shut.up. We are doing a baby shower for you and it's going to be great. Mwah!

Sara said...

One postcard on the way from Hong Kong. Well, actually mailed from the mainland. I forgot your zip code, but I wrote it while in Hong Kong. I hope you get it. We mailed it last week and I think it takes at least 20 days.

Emily said...

First off...Love the SNL thing I laughed so hard! But as far as the baby stuff goes I like it. You have more talent and drive to do things than I do. I'm glad you are doing it all! Sorry I have been MIA lately!