Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Modern Day Noahs

My bible reading for today included the beginning of the story of Noah and his Ark. And as I read about God choosing Noah and his family to be the only survivors of the flood, I couldn't help but be reminded of today's big box Christian churches, where all the people live in gated communities, send their kids to private schools, and do silly things like boycott against anything they think might infiltrate their walls, like books that suggest anything other than Jesus and sunshine and happy good fun times, or anything alluding to "the gays" or anything with a curse or sex or STDs, etc. etc.

The parallels are so intriguing: These people genuinely think THEY are chosen, that THEY are the only ones going to heaven, that THEY have all the answers. So they've put themselves into modern day arks - gated communities - alongside those who think like them and dress like them and pray like them. They shut out the world in some absurd belief that they are above it, that they, like Noah, will be spared from the same fate of the evil world outside the electronic gates.

But they are absolutely ignoring Christ in all of this. If they are such upstanding and wonderful Christians, then why are they not living as their savior? The point is, if I'm not mistaken, to not only just say you believe in Jesus and have that be all good, but to try and continue his work, his mission. As far as I can tell, Jesus was one of the most open-minded people to ever live. He hung out with lepers and whores and the poor. He was a part of the world without getting caught up in it. He took himself where people needed not only spiritual salvation, but also ACTUAL salvation. From disease or hunger or themselves. But these people, instead of learning about the world and using that knowledge to help people, shut it all out, pull the blinds, close their eyes and hum and little hymn as if that makes them holy.

So today, I think about the modern day Noahs, who have embarked on a journey of redemption through seclusion. And I can't help but wonder: Who is going to save them?

No comments: