I haven't posted anything about my bible reading in awhile. I haven't stopped; I'm just not really sure what to say about it. More than anything, it irritates me. The genealogies are mostly boring, except for to see the crazy bible names and wonder why the people who relish naming their children seemingly incoherent babblings don't go to the bible more for names. My favorite so far is probably "Jeush," which, if I am thinking correctly is pronounced "Yay-oosh." Why not? Makes as much sense as "Braiben Wayne" or "Hennessey" (for a girl, of course). "Eliphaz" is another name that sticks out from today's reading about Esau and Jacob, in particular. Which is another funny thing to me: From Jeush and Eliphaz and Jalam and Korah to Isaac, Jacob, Leah, and Rachel? Are those names just not weird because they carried into modern times, or were they carried into modern times because they were so not wierd. Oh, and Dinah. LOL. Someone's probably in the kitchen with her. :-DAnyway, It's no wonder there were all these huge family feuds in the bible and women who were jealous of one another - Apparently it's not any big deal for a man to just knock up his wife (wives) plus any of their helper girls as long as they can't get pregnant themselves. It's amusing to me that the conservative Christians with their "we don't have sexual organs" stance on the world claim to love the word of a God who basically said "do what you gotta do to get all the children you can get!" Of course, that's where they get caught - "Oh, no," they say, "That was a different time. We don't do things like that now," and then they turn around and claim that you can't interpret the word of god to fit your modern wicked world. Well, which is it? Can I have many wives and make babies with their maids or do I interpret the word of God for my world today? Because you can't have your ham and cheese sandwich and eat it, too.
I need to re-read some things and compose my thoughts and feelings on them. I try not to think TOO much about it as I read, because then I lose track of what I'm reading, and I feel that's a problem. I guess I'll just have to get a notebook and make notes to myself as I read and then I can go back and string them together. It's funny how those few minutes a day of reading have lengthened with all my questions into an entire day on my mind of pondering and studying.
No comments:
Post a Comment