Ben and I headed out about 8:30 this morning to go to the downtown market so I could have my regular Saturday morning breakfast of shrimp and grits.
They were extra awesome today.
He's still convinced that the produce the people have isn't local yet, so we haven't bought anything. Actually, the downtown market is pretty small and not all that impressive aside from the food. I really wish they would have more natural product vendors or something.
Oh well.
So, as we were leaving, we decided to stop by one of the little restaurants that was open so Ben could grab a bowl of grits for breakfast. He had only had a sausage biscuit and was still hungry. As we crossed the street, a car drove past us. The guy in the passenger seat looked really familiar.
"Hey," says I, "I totally think that was Dennis Quaid in that car."
"That was not Dennis Quaid. That was a black man," says Ben.
"NOT THE DRIVER. The guy in the passenger seat!" says me.
"Oh. Well, probably so."
Thing is, the BMW Celebrity golf tournament has been going on all week, and most of the muckities stay at the Westin Poinsett, which is where the start of the market is. When we got home, I looked it up online and sure enough - Dennis Quaid is playing this week in the tournament.
So. I saw Dennis Quaid today after breakfast.
*teehee*
After the disappointment of everything at the downtown market (besides breakfast and celebrity sightings), we decided to go to Rutherford Road to the REAL farmer's market. It was packed out. They had some of everything - local dairy milks and cheeses and beefs and rabbits (I KNOW!) and other things as well. They also had the man who I used to buy honey from at the downtown market. I was glad to find him. I don't like the new honey man, and didn't want to purchase his wares. Honey is up a dollar this year over last year for the big jar, but that's ok. I'm happy to give it to this honey man. We looked at pretty cut peonies and sunflowers and striped daisies. Then we got to a booth that had these climbing vines called "hummingbird vines."
We decided to get a couple to put on our back fence, since it is ugly and chain link and we like flowers and hummingbirds so we see it as a win/win/win!
I think we're going to go back later and get an herb pot and go get some herbs! I will have my own fresh herbs. I'm pretty excited.
I'd like to have a little patch, and not just a container garden, but I don't think there's space.
Cagematch
Tonight, Ben and I proved just how boring we are with our choice of Saturday night entertainment:
First - I met my friend Callie out at Falls Park to gawk at brides, bridesmaids and prom kids. Boy did we see some doozies! One dress was PARTICULARLY heinous, and not only did we see it on one girl, but on TWO! It was similar to this, but each girl was wearing the pink sash in a different way:

I'm sorry if this is your style, but the animal print prom dresses just remind me of hookers. I think it is TACKY. We saw one girl with a total leopard print dress. Another girl went the exact opposite of the "working girl" dress and had on something you'd expect an opera diva to wear onstage at the Met! No way was it easy for her to get in and out of her car. There were a selection of young men in all white tuxes, and one even had a tophat. That was amusing. One girl wore a KELLY GREEN dress (that was enormously poofy) and her date had the misfortune of sporting a KELLY GREEN tie and vest. Yeuch. There were just mostly bad choices. And ALL of the poor lambs had fake and baked themselves into an "abnormally-tan-for-this-time-of-year" state. Some of the girls didn't even try to do a damn thing with their hair, while the other ones are going to be able to wear their updo's for a week without a single curl getting mussed.
After I left Callie, Ben met me at home where we spent a couple of hours with Mr. Mike and Mama Kitty in the backyard. This is where the real entertainment started. Mr. Mike was prowling around his yard, as he is wont to do, and suddenly a mockingbird felt he was getting a little too close for his comfort and began to dive bomb him. This went on for nearly an hour. We were able to catch some action shots of poor Mr. Mike and his attack. I will upload those when I get them from Ben. But the funny thing was that this bird was squawking, squawking, squawking, and Mr. Mike kept meowing back, sort of a call and response thing.
SQUAWK!
Maw.
SQUAWK!
Maw.
SQUAWK!
Maw.
He looked as if he were trying to tell the bird to chill out, as his response was never as loud as the protests directed at him. And he only went for the bird AFTER the bird had dive bombed him a couple of times.
We laughed and laughed.
Poor Mr. Mike.
Except - he can be a bastard to Mama Kitty, so I think it was a nice bit of comeuppance for him to experience.
We rounded out the night with a couple frames of Wii bowling and couple games of Wii baseball.
Good times.
3 comments:
Wish I was there to make fun of prom dresses with you two-- I LOVE doing that! OK, about this herb container garden....can you put lots of different herbs all together in one pot? I have thought about doing that too, but don't know how. Maybe I'll do a little research today at work, I've got nothing else to do :-) well, except email Callie all day about how much we hate our jobs.....
Can I come spend a Saturday with you guys? It sounds fun. My Saturdays consist of rugby matches or some home improvement project, which translates to me watching the kids while Blasen does the work. Sometimes I'd like to do the work. Farmer's Markets are always such fun. Ours is just down the street from us, but is sort of small...as is Decatur.
Aw - you can totally come spend Saturday with us :-) We will put you to work doing garden stuff. LOL
Post a Comment